This Easy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is not only delicious, but also a cinch to put together. It's super Earth-friendly, too (just in time for Earth day next month)...it incorporates leftovers AND is an all in one dish! Chicken, rice, loads of veggies, and a crunchy cracker topping...what more can you want? It's easy to throw together in one dish (less to clean up and wash!).
This casserole is perfect to add to your repertoire of quick and easy dinner recipes. #MealtimeSolutions
I love a good double duty dish. It's great for my schedule and easier on resources. This dish fits the bill perfectly for that. Grill or bake chicken breasts, prepare rice and steam some broccoli one night for dinner...(make a double batch of everything). The next night, use your extras as a base for this delicious casserole. Less waste and easy prep equals perfection! Plus, who doesn't love a one-dish wonder? Check out this recipe for Easy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole below.All of the flavors combine for a perfect easy dinner. You can pair it with a salad or just serve it as is (it's chocked full of veggies, chicken and rice!). If you're using leftover broccoli, it's okay if it's already cooked. But, if your broccoli is raw, be sure to chop it into small pieces so it cooks through in the casserole.
These new Horizon Cheddar Sandwich Crackers are such a fun take on a crunchy casserole topping. They bring the cheesy casserole flavor all the way up to its surface. Just a few whirls around the food processor and they're the perfect crumbly consistency.
Easy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 3-4 large, cooked chicken breasts, chopped (USE LEFTOVERS!)
- 3 cups finely chopped broccoli (USE LEFTOVERS!)
- 4 cups leftover rice (white or brown is fine) (USE LEFTOVERS!)
- 2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Horizon 2% milk
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Horizon shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup Horizon Cheddar Sandwich Crackers
Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13" casserole pan with cooking spray.
Whisk together soups, sour cream, milk, cheese, salt, and mustard in a large bowl. Fold in chicken, rice, broccoli, mushrooms, and garlic until everything is combined.
Scoop mixture into prepared casserole pan. Add Horizon Cheddar Sandwich Crackers to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they're a fine crumbly texture. Sprinkle over casserole and gently press into the mixture with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until topping is golden and bubbly.
My kids aren't even huge casserole cravers, but they absolutely devoured this and went back for seconds. That's HUGE in our house! Casserole for the win.
Quick Ideas to Make Earth-Friendly Meals:
- One dish meals minimize dish washing.
- Leftovers are perfect for casseroles...and equal less cooking time.
- Try to use seasonal veggies to your region.
- Preparing enough food for two meals is less work and less dish washing.
- Grill a dozen chicken breasts at a time to freeze and use as needed. Just thaw and toss in a casserole as needed.
For more delicious ideas, follow Horizon's #MealtimeSolutions on Pinterest here.
The opinions and text are all mine.