THIS POST IS JUST BEGINNING. PLEASE CLICK THROUGH TO SEE IT ALL>>>
Recently, I've been refashioning the clothes that I just can't seem to let go, even though I haven't worn them in years... many years. Several years ago, I bought a black, purple, gray, and teal dress from Wet Seal. I think I may have worn it a few times with leggings, but eventually, it became a house dress. Since I still loved the fabric, I decided to refashion it into something for my daughter. And what a process that was! Here are some pictures from my sewing adventure:
This is me wearing the dress in its original form. I purchased the dress from Wet Seal at least 5 years ago. I loved the lacy crochet piece on the neckline of the dress, so I carefully removed it, so that I could use it on the new tunic.
I didn't use a pattern to transform the dress into a high-low hem toddler tunic. I used one of my daughter's 2T tunics as a guide for making the bodice of the new tunic. I used my yellow tailor's chalk to trace around the tunic onto the wrong side of the fabric, and I traced around a little larger for the seam allowance. I doubled up the fabric, and sewed the pieces together. Then I flipped the pieces inside out.
I decided to add buttons to the back of the tunic. I found some purple buttons in my button stash, and I used my handy dandy button hole maker. Another sewing blogger once told me that I should always sew around the button hole twice. That is such great advice! I sewed the buttons on by hand.
I zigzag stitched the parts of the bodice together. Then I cut a rectangular piece for the bottom of the tunic, and I stitched a gathering stitch around the top. I ironed the bodice piece, and then sewed the bodice and the bottom together.
Ta-da! All Done! I am extremely happy with this sewing project. I think it turned out really well, especially since I did not use a pattern. This tunic looks really cute on my daughter. I was a little sad that I wasn't able to get the pattern of the fabric to line up perfectly in the back, but that's one of the drawbacks of upcycling; the amount of fabric I had to work with was really limited.
It's so much fun making something old new again! Thanks for reading!