This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and American Home by Yankee Candle®. All opinions are mine alone. #LoveAmericanHome #CollectiveBias
Around here, this coming weekend marks the end of summer. This Labor Day Tablescape is the perfect way to celebrate and invite company over for a cookout or casual meal.Labor Day is that last little hurrah before the summer is over, no? In the US, it is intended to honor the American labor movement. To me, it's a great day to reflect on the fact that we are blessed with work. And four and a half years into it, I'm so humbled to say that this blog has provided me with work that I absolutely love.
Since it's still a summer holiday, I thought it would be fun to incorporate a bit more red, white, and blue into a simple Labor Day Tablescape that's perfect for a cookout or casual dinner with friends over. Living in a military community kind of gives me carte blanche to decorate in patriotic colors year round. Check out this entire tablescape below, including free printable candle wrappers and Labor Day quotes about work and inspiration.
Now that it's *somewhat* cooled down, we can go out on the porch again for dinner...you know, if it's after 7 pm, that is. The 90s are actually a blessing after the three-digit temps have been so brutal. So excited to be able to entertain out here again.
These are some of the things I gathered for my tablescape...including plain blue wrapping paper (instead of a fancy table cloth...I love using wrapping paper like this), wide burlap ribbon, cute little weathered mini milking stools, American flags, and lots of mason jar fun. I've also included two of my favorite candle fragrances of the American Home™ by Yankee Candle®: Fresh Apple and Classic Denim.
I've loved Yankee Candle since my college days (in the 90s...yowza!). My roommates and I always burned the Vanilla Cupcake fragrance and constantly had people thinking we were baking. Since then, I've always loved Yankee Candles...both for their ambiance and fragrance.
The smaller tumbler candles pictured above are $4.93 each. The larger tumbler candles I purchased are $10.93 each. Of course, I had to grab a 19-ounce Pumpkin Apple Harvest candle in the apothecary jar, too. Because...it's so close to pumpkin season, y'all. How could I not? It goes really nicely with the Fresh Apple fragrance.
And I love that Walmart now carries Yankee Candles (I used to have to drive all the way to Austin to buy mine). I purchased all of my American Home™ by Yankee Candle® candles for my tablescape at my local Walmart. They are located in the Home and Candle section. Many Walmarts also have a current circular full of great Labor Day must-have items, including American Home by Yankee Candle® products.Click here to see all of the American Home by Yankee Candle® selections.
Here are some easy ideas that can be incorporated into any tablescape>>>
1. I use plain wrapping paper as a table cover instead of a tablecloth. It's fun to do this for any holiday...you could even incorporate patterns for more eye candy.
2. Layering is one thing that seems to always work for me. I used large-width burlap ribbon (available at any craft store) down the middle of the table for a runner...it also adds some nice texture to the table. To add more pattern, I use sheets of scrapbook paper under my plates and chargers. I have a great set of dark wooden chargers that I've had since before I got married. They were a little pricier than most chargers, but were well worth their investment. I use them for EVERYTHING and every holiday. The nice dark wood is fantastic for dressing a table up OR down...super versatile! Seriously, these things are like 15 years old and still work perfectly...I'll never get rid of them!
3. Plates and napkins are placed on top of the chargers. These are just paper plates, but using those chargers I mentioned really dresses them up and makes them pop. Instead of getting matching plates, I grabbed some red polka dot dinner plates and then plain blue ones for salad plates.
4. Then the FUN starts...I added the little stools to give some height to the table. They're not too tall so people can still converse across the table. The mason jar full of flags is in a spot that doesn't block cross table conversation, either. I tied the flags together to keep them from blowing too close to my candle flames.
5. I added all of my flatware, mason jar drinking glasses (with cute patterned straws), and table chairs. I also added a fun quote for each guest that was about "work" or something inspired by Labor Day. And of course, every one gets their own American Home by Yankee Candle® Small Tumbler to take home with them...because who doesn't love a good party favor?
Above is a fun little video of how the table came together.
Such a nice, casual way to enjoy the end of summer.
I used candle wrappers (available for free download below) to tie the larger candles into the overall look of the tablescape. Tying a bit of twine around them helps give more texture and dimension to the table.
Every time I use candles on a table, I can hear my mom's "candle rules" in my head: Never light candles on a table before 5 pm. And if you're using new candles, quickly light and blow out the wicks to leave them blackened. Apparently having "new wicks" is bad luck, y'all. Always keep them black. Oh, mom.
Guests can take their own candle and quote home with them...kind of a nice way to end summer.
Always use complete caution when using candles on a table. I made sure I had plenty of space between my flags and candles...if it had been a breezy day, I would have left the flags off the table and set them in another spot for guests to enjoy. Also, be careful tying anything around candles...I made sure to tug at the twine to keep the loops and tails downward, away from the flames. If there had been kiddos at the table, I may have skipped the twine.
Be sure to follow all usage guidelines on your American Home™ by Yankee Candle® candles to stay safe.
Click here to download the above Labor Day Quotes...perfect for parties or inspiration.
Click here to download the candle wrappers (these can double as napkin rings, too). They require 11x17 paper for printing...so they're long enough for the larger candle jars. They would be darling for gifts, too. You can write on them with chalk (woot, woot!).
What are you doing for Labor Day, friends?